Glossary of terms
You are here:
areppim > Glossary of terms >
- Undernourished population:
- Persons whose food intake falls below the minimum requirement or whose food intake is insufficient to meet dietary energy requirements continuously.
- World food status as at July 2008:
- An estimated 850 million people (or 13% of world population) are undernourished;
- About 820 million of them live in developing countries;
- The percentage of household income spent on food by the richest nations is 10% to 15% only, but reaches 70% to 80% of household income in the poorest nations;
- Rises in food prices between 2005 and 2007 increased poverty by 3 percentage points on average, causing the total world poverty to grow by 73 million to 105 million people globally;
- This threatens to add an additional 100 million people to those already suffering from hunger, bringing the undernourished to 14% of the total world population.
- (data retrieved from: FAO - Food and Agriculture Organization, World Bank)